[Sca-cooks] Black-eyed peas recipes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Aug 12 19:41:05 PDT 2013

If you go with Powell's translation of Galen's "De alimentorum facultatibus"
(On the Properties of Foodstuffs), V. unguiculata (cowpeas, black-eyed peas)
are "phaselos."  Galen also lists a number of other legumes by different
names with "dolchios" being a problematic V. sinensis (taxonomically V.
unguiculata) and possibly referencing up to four related legumes.
"Phaselos" equates to "fasoli" in Italian.  "Fasoli" was expanded to
encompass the New World beans after 1492.

If you are willing to accept that "fasoli" are black-eyed peas, then these
14th Century recipes supplied by Urtatim a number of years ago, might work
for you:

"Here are the originals and Vittoria's translations:

[57]
 De' fasoli. Fasoli bene lavati e bulliti, metti a cocere con oglio e
cipolle, con sopradette spezie, cascio grattato, et ova dibattute.

Beans well cleaned and boiled, set them to cook with oil and onions, with
aforementioned spices, grated cheese, and beaten eggs.

[58]
 Altramente al modo trivisano. Metti fasoli bulliti, descaccati, a  cocere
con carne insalata, e con pepe, e zaffarano. E possonsi dare soffritti con
oglio, postovi dentro un poco d'aceto, amido e sale.

Another preparation in the style of Treviso.  Put boiled beans, shelled, to
cook with salted meat, and with pepper and saffron.  And this can be served
fried in oil, put in a bit of vinegar, starch, and salt.

[59]
 Altramente. Tolli i fasoli bulliti, e gittatane via l'acqua, mettili a
cocere con carne di castrone, di porco, o di bue, o qualunche vuoli, e molto
pesta, e un poco di zaffarano e sale, e da' mangiare.

Another preparation.  Take boiled beans, and throw away the water, set them
to cook with mutton, pork, or beef, or whatever you like, and grind it well,
and a bit of saffron and salt, and serve it."

The source is Tuscan, but I don't seem to have the bibliographic data with
the recipes.

Bear