[Sca-cooks] Herring in Wine Sauce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 30 20:31:20 PDT 2013

Recently we switched from Sam's to Costco and I found a number of new items there.

One of these was jars of "Herring in Wine Sauce". $13.99 / pound.

Kinda expensive, but I'm thinking I might try it some time. Depending on what modern things they've done to it, it may be reasonably period. They sell it in refrigerated cases. Does it have to stay refrigerated before opening it?

And most of all, how would you eat such a dish? Straight from the jar? heated? With other stuff added to it?

Yes, maybe silly questions, but I feel like the guy, in the opposite culture, who is given a can of chili and decides to eat it cold. belch.

This is a continuing problem in the ethnic food stores. Lots of interesting foods and possibly interesting ingredients, but even when I'm sure what some of them are, and I'm not always, I'm not always sure how to prepare or cook the ones I might recognize.

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com