[Sca-cooks] "Food: A Cultural Culinary History" video/DVD course back on sale

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 17 17:17:07 PST 2013

We talked about this course sometime in the past, since I bought it then. So far I got up to medieval times and then put it aside. I'll get back to it later.

I just got a notice of their Christmas sale and this one is back on sale for $54.95.

"In Food: A Cultural Culinary History, award-winning Professor Ken Albala of the University of the Pacific puts this extraordinary subject on the table, taking you on an enthralling journey into the human relationship to food. With this innovative course, you'll travel the world discovering fascinating food lore and culture of all regions and eras—as an eye-opening lesson in history as well as a unique window on what we eat today.

Incorporating extensive study of historical recipes, food preparation techniques from around the world, and activities you can try at home, these 36 colorful lectures take you through the entire spectrum of food history, from the cuisine of ancient Egypt to the great flowering of European cookery in the Middle Ages, and from the celebrity chefs of 18th-century France to our own Zagat- and Michelin-rated restaurant culture. Along the way, you learn in depth about food production and technology in each era; the social, economic, and political factors surrounding food culture; and thinking on diet and eating through the centuries. The result is a compelling inquiry that will change the way you look at both history and food itself."

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=9180&ai=91750&cm_mmc=email-_-DD15Active20131217-_-body-_-MainCourse&cm_mmca1=91750

This one on cooking techniques is also on sale:
"The Everyday Gourmet: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Cooking"

I also bought this one previously, but haven't watched much of it. This one might be good for those, like me, who are new to cooking, or have questions on what roasting, grilling, poaching etc, really consist of.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=9231&ai=91750&cm_mmc=email-_-DD15Active20131217-_-body-_-9231&cm_mmca1=91750

I would recommend NOT to buy any of their courses that aren't on sale. Eventually all the courses seem to get put on sale. I have bought some as DVDs and some as downloaded video. The latter is cheaper and I haven't had a problem with it. I do go ahead and download the entire series and then start watching it, though. Just in case. :-)

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris