[Sca-cooks] Medieval Arabs Ate Sandwiches, Too

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 4 15:50:55 PST 2013

Natalie asked:
<<< I was really excited when I found this out a few weeks back.  I am now working on redactions from a 10th century Baghdadi source (from Nawal Nasrallah's book). I can't think of an nicer thing to bring to the war fields for my household. ;)

Is anyone else interested? I would love to compare notes! >>>

Yes, please post your redactions and perhaps the original recipe. I don't have this book.

I think the sandwich is such an obvious solution to several problems that it was likely invented in several different regions, independently of the others. I think the biggest question is why it wasn't invented in Europe sooner. I'm still not sure it wasn't the bread. How did medieval bread differ from the Middle Eastern bread or modern bread?

How did "Brick-oven spongy and crusty breads and thin malleable varieties were used by Arab cooks" vary from that of medieval European bread(s)?

It does look like I have enough info on period sandwiches and sandwich-like things to create a Florilegium file, after all. So I will do so. :-)

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris