[Sca-cooks] Question - What Ottoman Recipes to Include in C.A.

drakey drakey at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 4 23:50:47 PST 2013

Lard is out because its pork fat.  And its kinda poor form to use pork in islamic recipes.

Drake.

Sent from my GT-N7105T on the Telstra 4G networkStefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:Urtatim said:
<<< When recipes call for Fat = sheep tail fat, not necessarily easy to find (i'm sure i can find it where i live, but the recipes should be do-able in other places). Lard is obviously out; butter would be the closest substitute i can think of. >>>

Why is "lard obviously out"?

You're right, I would have real problems finding sheep tail fat. It is rather difficult to find lamb here and when you can it is rather expensive.

If I have to make a substitute because something is unavailable, that I will do. I'm less likely to be concerned about some past or current food restriction that doesn't apply to me. If lard is the best substitute than I would use that.

Stefan

--------
THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****