[Sca-cooks] The next great cooking gadget?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 16:16:58 PST 2013

Well, you cook in the water bath.  The reason being that you set the water
to a particular temperature and then the food only goes to that temperature
and no higher so you can cook something to medium rare without fear of over
cooking.  The laboratory grade water bath lets you control the temperature
to within a 10th of a degree celsius.   Then yes, we do sear off the meat
at the very end.

My husband makes amazing ribs both pork and beef.  He marinates them and
then smokes them for 7 hours and then sous vides them for 3 to 5 days
depending on the recipe.  He then makes me the vinegar sauce I really like
- so yummy.

He's done fish and steak as well.  He wants to try the eggs where the
middles are cooked and the whites are soft.  We bought him the Modernist
Cuisine books and they have several sous vide recipes in them.

Alton Brown has show how to do a makeshift sous vide and we considered that
until we got this one.

Shoshanah