[Sca-cooks] Jelly Donuts in 15th c. Germany

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Dec 11 12:17:28 PST 2013

>There is a facsimile of a cookbook called
>/Kuchmaistrey/ , published in Nurnberg in 1490,
>webbed at:
>
>http://diglib.hab.de/wdb.php?dir=inkunabeln%2F276-quod-2
>
>The facsimile has an alphabetical index at the
>beginning in which I cannot find "Gefüllte
>Krapfen." There is a section labeled "Krapfen"
>and I can't find it there either. On the other
>hand, I'm far from fluent in German, let alone
>15th c. German in gothic print, so might easily
>be missing something.
>
>Does anyone know of a webbed searchable text of
>the book in question? A translation? Would
>anyone on this list whose German is better than
>mine like to go searching for jelly doughnuts?

I downloaded it and am looking it over.  Since
I'm mostly finished with Rumpolt, I think I will
try transcribing and translating this.  It's more
archaic spelling than Rumpolt, and some of the
letters are puzzling me at this point. We'll see
how it goes.

But I'm very doubtful about Gefüllte Krapfen meaning jelly donuts this early.

Ranvaig