[Sca-cooks] Service and Kraut questions from Gwen Cat

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 11:37:03 PST 2013

More on Table Settings

There are museum catalogues and exhibition catalogues and exhibits like 'Feeding Desire' At The Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum which Devra and I toured in 2006.
“Feeding Desire: Design and the Tools of the Table, 1500-2005” is the book.
http://www.cooperhewitt.org/press/2006/09/18/feeding-desire-design-and-tools-table-1500%E2%80%932005

I think you may have this one--

Die öffentliche Tafel: Tafelzeremoniell in Europa 1300-1900. by Hans Ottomeyer & Michaela Völkel. Deutsches Historisches Museum.

Philippa Glanville's Elegant Eating: Four Hundred Years of Dining in Style. V&A, 2004.

There are dozens of others. A number of books will contain just a chapter on the subject.

The subject headings to look under are:
Subjects:	 Food habits --Europe --History --Exhibitions.
Dinners and dining --Europe --History --Exhibitions.
Dinners and dining in art --Exhibitions.
Table setting and decoration --Europe --History --Exhibitions.
or more broadly start with Table settings and decoration.

It's a good subject and I am sure that those asking the question can amuse themselves with it for several months.

Johnnae

On Feb 8, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Johnna wrote:snipped