[Sca-cooks] Period Pretzels, yet again...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 18 10:46:50 PST 2013

> On 2/17/13 10:21 PM, Terry Decker wrote:
>> I believe I'm up to seven European bread recipes from between 500 and
>> 1600 CE.  The majority of these are manor recipes prepared by cooks
>> rather than bakers.  There are a number of bread recipes(?) that can be
>> winkled out of Greek and Roman pre-collapse texts and there are quite a
>> few recipes after 1600.
> It might be worth your giving us a list of them--not the recipes, just
> where they are from--so that if any of us happens to know one not on the
> list he can offer it.
>
> I don't know if you have any interest in bread recipes from outside
> Europe, but al-Warraq has a bunch.
>

> --
> David Friedman

I need to dig through my notes and pull them together far a paper on baking,
so listing the sources in future shouldn't be a problem.  IIRC, most of them
have appeared on this list over the years, so they may be in the
Florilegium.  At the minute, I'm readying two houses for sale and overseeing
a move to New Mexico, so it may be a few months.  On the otherhand, I've
been finding research notes that had sunk into the oblivion of the storage
boxes.

I've been planning to turn my hand to all those lovely Islamic bread recipes
and I'll post my take on them as I prepare them.

Bear