[Sca-cooks] Heston Blumentahl Tudor meal

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 07:23:43 PST 2013

Well, a number were Christian, after all, and it's often been said that
subsequent Christian revels derived from Roman pagan antecedents:

"If  we compare," says William Prynne, in his Histrio-Mastix, "our
Bacchanalian Christmas and New-Year's tides with these Saturnalia and feasts of
Janus, we shall find such near afflnityebetweene them both in regard of time
(they being both in the end of December and on the first of January), and in
 their manner of solemnizing (both being spent in revelling, epicurisme,
wantonuesse, idleness, dancing, drinking, stage-plaies, masques, and carnall
pomps and jollity), that we must needes conclude the one to be but the ape
or  issue of the other. Hence Polydore Vergil affirmes in express terms that
our  Christmas Lords of Misrule, which custom, saith he, is cheefly
observed in  England, together with dancing, masques, mummeries, stage-playes, and
such other  Christmas disorders now in use with Christians, were derived
from the Roman  Saturnalia and Bacchanalian festivities, which (concludes he)
should cause all  pious Christians to abominate them."
_http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA10&ei=oNIsUYqvBeSbjALRj4CYCQ&id=nVIFAAAA
QAAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA10&ei=oNIsUYqvBeSbjALRj4CYCQ&id=nVIFAAAAQAAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/26/2013 3:44:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,