[Sca-cooks] OT: Freezing Cream Cheese?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 17:49:52 PST 2013

I detest Philadelphia brand cream cheese and its ilk and imitators. They are gummy and sticky and tacky and lack a fresh flavor. Instead i get a fantastically delicious brand made in Northern California called Gina Marie. All it has in it is milk, cream, sea salt, and cultures.

My brother likes it, but it isn't sold anywhere he lives that i can find - and i contacted the company that makes it.

It isn't a flat "brick" like the most common kinds. It comes in a chub which my market slices into thick circular slabs. The texture is almost like "whipped" cream cheese, but it has no additives and isn't whipped.

So, i wonder, if i bring some down to him, can it be frozen and still have a good flavor and texture when thawed? Or will it get gummy or otherwise unpleasant?

My thanks to the wisdom of the assembled...

Someone sometimes known as Urtatim