[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 07:42:42 PST 2013

In France, I've only seen this referenced during famine periods. Do you
know if it was ever common practice there? (I know the stomach contents of bog
 bodies are sometimes quite eclectic.)

I would assume the blood had some  ritual significance. Its use also gives
more credibility to strictures in the  French penitentials against consuming
other bodily fluids in food, apparently  addressing pagan practice.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/10/2013 11:37:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,