[Sca-cooks] pastry recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Feb 14 04:55:01 PST 2013

I'm not certain that "flaky" was what was being sought.
The words one associates with such pies is strength.

Ivan Day writes, "In earlier centuries pasties were made with a hard durable crust formed from rye flour. This was so tough and resilient it did not crack easily and was highly suited for pasties which were to be sent long distances as gifts - venison pasties for instance were popular wedding gifts and were even sent abroad."

Besides Ivan Day's website,
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe2.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Edward%20Kidders%20Lamb%20Pasty.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/medlar%20tart%20recipe.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Quinces%20Recipe.htm#taffetytart

take a look a him actually making a raised pie here:

"Watch Ivan Day, Cumbria's historic food genius, re-create an amazing pie of the past. Authentic and wonderful."

http://blip.tv/cumbrias-foodie-tv-/ivan-day-the-historical-pie-making-genius-4720420

Mince Pie here:

http://blip.tv/cumbrias-foodie-tv-/the-perfect-christmas-mince-pie-4544503

Johnnae