[Sca-cooks] Stovetop smoker

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:56:27 PST 2013

The best I know it's a smoking box made for salmon and fish by the Swedish
Abu Garcia, it's called Abu Röken and can be bought online in their site,
www.abugarcia.com or www.abugarcia.se
Ana

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, those things are for flavor, not preservation. Do you
> remember, a while back, the discussion we had had about people smoking
> things in their chimney corner? That was another form of cool smoking.
>
> As far as commercial products, Smithfield Hams are actually preserved
> that way, but they're smoked using maize cobs, and, being ham, I think
> your persona couldn't eat them, even if you inored the cobs.
>
> There are a few beef sausages, similar to pepperoni, that would be
> usable, but I think you've likely found them by now.
>
> There are these commercial smokers:
>

> http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=smokers&x=13&y=7&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
>
> but most of these are hot smokers, and fairly expensive.
>
> Your best bet would to be to build yourself a cold smoker. While
> noodling around on the 'Net the other month, I found this website:
>
> http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-plans
>
> The url I gave you is just for smokehouse plans, but there's all kinds
> of good stuff on the site, and it seems to me to be pretty accurate. I
> like it, because while it's a modern site using modern techniques,
> certain things like smoking techniques and sausages last through the
> ages ;-)
>
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:21 AM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
> wrote:
> > Is it possible, using such a device, to smoke meat well enough to
> preserve
> > it as well as flavoring it? I've long thought that would be one good
> > solution to the problem of Pennsic without a cooler.
> >

> > On 2/22/13 5:03 PM, Chef Christy wrote:
> >>
> >> I have worked with them, done food demos with them, and now own one, but
> >> can't use it because I don't have a proper vent in my kitchen. The
> biggest
> >> issue with them is getting the wood 'chips' (more like wood dust) and
> >> finding them at a good price.  My recommendation, get a bunch when you
> >> order
> >> yours.  (I found the one I now own at a thrift store, sans wood chips.)
> >> And
> >> make sure you only use it with your stove vent running and in good
> working
> >> order.
> >>
> >> My favorite things in it were: Portobello mushroom caps, salmon, trout,
> >> pork
> >> loin, and eggplant to make a smoked eggplant babaganoush.
> >>
> >> Christianna

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci