[Sca-cooks] dormice

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Feb 27 07:27:03 PST 2013

This is still a good website.

http://www.glirarium.org/dormouse/index.html

Here's a write-up on the Slovenian Dormouse Museum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/slovenia/cerknica/sights/museum/dormouse-museum-hunting

We visited there in 2004 and found it rather charming. The museum guide took us to her office so we could see a mother with her young. That way we could say that we actually saw living one. They are still quite common in the forests in Slovenia, but they tend to be nocturnal, so you don't see them during the day.

Why would one want to buy one? They are not very big, so cooking one or a group of them would not yield much meat. I've suggested in the past small squirrel or chipmunks or even hamsters for a substitute.
The ones being sold as pets seem to be African ones.

Johnnae