[Sca-cooks] herbs

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 18:10:20 PST 2013

Spikenard these days is typically replaced by valerian (Gallic nard), which
 is supposed to be safe enough (if soporific). Rue is sold in Persian
supermarkets, but I would read up on it extensively before using it. It's
powerful in many ways and there are those who say not to use it in food at all.
(I certainly wouldn't serve any to a pregnant woman.)

In general, it's  always wise to read up (medically) on any unfamiliar
spice or herb. Even  some of the familiar ones are more powerful than some
people  realize.

These are both more Roman than medieval spices, though they're  found later
on. Curious to see them in hypocras, though.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Catholic Fasting in France: From the Franks to the  Eighteenth Century

In a message dated 1/10/2013 5:48:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,