[Sca-cooks] Herbs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jan 13 22:33:37 PST 2013

On 1/13/2013 6:28 PM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:

> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruta_graveolens
> "Rue contains pilocarpine which is used in  horses to induce abortion."
>

> Otherwise,  here's what the government (whom of course I trust implicitly)
> says, in listing  rue among "DIRECT FOOD SUBSTANCES AFFIRMED AS GENERALLY
> RECOGNIZED AS SAFE"
>
> § 184.1698   Rue.
> (a) Rue is the  perennial herb of several species of Ruta ( Ruta  montana
> L., Ruta  graveolens L., Ruta  bracteosa L., and Ruta  calepensis L.). The
> leaves,  buds, and stems from the top of the plant are gathered, dried, and
> then crushed  in preparation for use, or left whole.
> (b)  The ingredient is used in all categories of food in accordance with  §
> 184.1(b)(2) of this chapter at concentrations not to exceed 2 parts per
> million.
> (c)  Prior sanctions for this ingredient different from the uses
> established in this  section do not exist or have been waived.
> [43 FR 3705, Jan. 27, 1978]
>
> _Back to Top_
> (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=2b674d0f51e4bae7cbc92547499bdc3a&ty=HTML&h=L&n=21y3.0.1.1.14&r=PART#_top)
> § 184.1699   Oil  of rue.
> (a)  Oil of rue is the  natural substance obtained by steam distillation of
> the fresh blossoming plants  of rue, the perennial herb of several species
> of Ruta—Ruta montana L., Ruta  graveolens L., Ruta  bracteosa L., and Ruta
> calepensisL.
> (b)  Oil of rue meets the  specifications of the “Food Chemicals Codex,”
> 4th ed. (1996), pp. 342-343, which  is incorporated by reference in
> accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part  51. Copies are available from the
> National Academy Press, Box 285, 2101  Constitution Ave. NW., Washington, DC
> 20055 (Internet address http://www.nap.edu ), or may be examined at the Center
> for  Food Safety and Applied Nutrition's Library, Food and Drug
> Administration, 5100  Paint Branch Pkwy., College Park, MD 20740, or at the National
> Archives and  Records Administration (NARA). For information on the
> availability of this  material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go
> to:http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
> (c)  The ingredient is used in food under the following conditions:
>

> Maximum Usage Levels Permitted
>     Food (as served) Parts per million Function  Baked goods and baking
> mixes,  § 170.3(n)(1), of this chapter 10 Flavoring agent and adjuvant,  §
> 170.3(o)(12) of this chapter.  Frozen dairy desserts and mixes,  § 170.3 (n)(20)
> of this chapter 10 Do.  Soft candy, § 170.3(n)(38) of  this chapter 10 Do.
> All other food categories 4 Do.
>
> (d)  Prior sanctions for this ingredient different from the uses
> established in this  section do not exist or have been waived.
> [42 FR 14653, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 49 FR 5613, Feb. 14, 1984;  64
> FR 1760, Jan. 12, 1999]"
>
> Jim  Chevallier
> [...]
Well, the USDA allows a lot of things in our food that I would no want
near my mouth, so...

Back when I was a midwifery student, many years ago, we were told that
rue is an emmenagogue, and could be a problem in someone who was prone
to miscarry. Cohosh (black and blue both) has the same effect.

I wouldn't be terribly flipped out about them, but if I was serving
something with rue or cohosh in it at a feast, I would clearly label it.
Better safe than sorry.

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: