[Sca-cooks] Queens Tea

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Jan 28 17:02:29 PST 2013

On 1/28/2013 9:51 AM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM, David Friedman
> <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
>> I don't suppose you could persuade the relevant authorities to find a period
>> label for what they want to do?
> "Collation", meaning a light meal, dates back to the 16th century.

Goes back much further than that. 'Collation' began in the 9th century,
as a Lenten practice. The monks were allowed a drink of water and a
light snack (called the Parvitas materiae) after labor, while listening
to a reading of a text of the _Collationes_ (Conferences) of an early
Christian monk named Cassian. How and when this practice became
associated with women in frilly garments sipping tea, I don't know.

Liutgard, who sees Ash Wednesday on the horizon and beginning the Lenten
whining early
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: