[Sca-cooks] Officially serving modern food at SCA events

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Jan 31 02:14:46 PST 2013

On 1/31/2013 1:55 AM, Terri Morgan wrote:
>> Liutgard, who thanks God that the Lenten rules changed
>> sometime in the mid 8th c, and she can have beer or wine.
>> Beer makes Lent bearable.
> Can you have cider? (Your aside made me curious)
>

> Hrothny

Yes, I can have cider. I personally don't drink much because it is
generally higher in sugar and leaves me with a headache. Do like the
occasional dry pear cider. (James is not here to wink at me, so you'll
have to conjure the blush on my face for yourself. ;-) )

The really ANNOYING part this yeah- Lent begins the day BEFORE
Valentine's Day. Uh-huh. I'm thinking about buying a big box of candy
and eating it myself, so I can get that out of my system. It's a theory
at least. :-P

I've been going back and forth through the docs I have, and still have
not been able to establish an if, what, and when there might have been a
relaxation of the fast of Sunday and other feast days. In the 8th c at
least a 'feast' day during Lent meant you got to eat a little more, and
more festive meals. But still no eggs, meat, or dairy. I have not been
able to ascertain whether there was a division between Eastern and
Western tradition at that point.

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: