[Sca-cooks] Kissel

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 25 15:00:39 PST 2013

Yes.  buckwheat groats are 70 to 78 percent starch, buckwheat flour is even
better at 71 to 90 percent.  This makes it roughly equivalent to hard winter
wheat in starch content.  There may be a qualitative difference between the
starches, but buckwheat starch is used as a thickener in some Korean recipes
(that I know of, it may have wider use).

As to whether buckwheat was used in this manner in period, I don't know.

Bear