[Sca-cooks] Kissel

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 17:03:38 PST 2013

>Buckwheat was introduced into Russia from Asia,
>possibly (and speculatively) during the Mongol
>incursions of the 13th Century.  It began moving
>west from Russia into the rest of Europe around
>the 15th Century.  The were definitely used in
>period.
>
>My question is whether there is any evidence
>they were used specifically as a thickener,
>which is part of the initial discussion.

Rumpolt 1581 talks about Buckwheat cooked with
beef broth until it is thick, but this is
probably buckwheat groats, not flour.

Zugemüß 98.  Buckwheat porridge (Heidenbrey)/
that is cleanly picked (hulled??) and washed off/
set it with beef broth to (the fire)/ let simmer/
until it becomes thick/ put fat/ that has been
skimmed from beef broth/ in it/ like this it is
good and well tasting.

Ranvaig