[Sca-cooks] Estonian food

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 05:18:02 PST 2013

We had something very similar to what you described in Swedish food (Sweden
ruled Estonia and Latvia and Lituany under many years), it's called
"kroppkakor". It's made with potatos, as a kind of big Italian gnocchi or
dumpling. It's filled with ground meat and it taste wonderful.

http://www.food.com/recipe/swedish-kroppkakor-61420

http://kokblog.johannak.com/58/

Ana

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Stephanie Ross <the.red.ross at gmail.com>wrote:

> I had the great fortune to have visited the country of Estonia twice since
> 2008. I have been to Tallinn, the capitol, which is right on the coast of
> the Gulf of Finland, twice, and took a bus ride to look at the folk
> costumes and viking stuff at the Estonian National Museum in
> Tartu (research for my Russian persona, doncha know). However, I quickly
> found out that the Estonians hate the Russians that were brought in during
> communist times. And I mean HATE. It was difficult for me as an American
> (and a Rusophile) to see the blatant racism. Although I do understand it as
> about 25% of the population of Estonia are transplanted/second generation
> immigrants from Russia. Estonia stopped publishing its laws in Russian in
> 2009 and also shut down the Russian newspapers. One is only an Estonian
> citizen if one can prove paternal heritage in the country before WWII.
> Being born there does not make one a citizen, so the Russians are SOL.
>
> Tallinn is the only intact medieval city left in Europe because Hitler
> wanted to live there after the war, so he never bombed Estonia. It is quite
> the tourist city with visitors from all over the world. There is a medieval
> restaurant there called Olde Hansa, after the Hanseatic League that ruled
> Estonia and the Nordic countries during the late middle ages (
> www.oldehansa.ee). The restaurant also has a bakery that serves meat pies
> for take away - the carrot and parsnip one was divine and unusual. I loved
> walking down the cobblestone street eating a hot meatpie fresh from the
> oven. The only thing that would have made it better was if I had been in
> garb, although the street vendors that serve spiced nuts were in 14 cent.
> medieval clothing, and Olde Hansa had a medieval store where I could have
> bought clothes, shoes and ceramics. I did buy a Bartman mug for my former
> lord. I saw the original from an archeology dig in a museum in Riga, Latvia
> on my second trip.  The best part about Estonia is that everyone under 35
> is fluent in English because of the Internat/Skype.
>
> Of course I bought a cookbook on my first visit. The cookbook had the most
> beautiful tablet-woven belt pictures on the front cover. Estonia is the
> only country in the world (that I know of) where they still make
> tablet-woven belts for their national costumes. I bought a half-dozen (all
> they had) 3" square wooden weaving tablets at the museum in Tartu - wish I
> could have found more! Here is a wonderful Estonian food blog
> www.nami-nami.blogspot.com. I met the author Pille on my first visit to
> Tallinn for dinner, when she took me to Olde Hansa. Food in Estonia is very
> German - boiled potatoes, cream sauces, the best sauerkraut that I have
> ever eaten, boiled meat, sausages and cabbage.
>
> I plan to post a recipe for an Estonian type of potato salad called risolje
> when I get to work. As I was flipping through the pages trying to find it,
> [...]

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci