[Sca-cooks] Cicera fracta, farinata

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:18:26 PST 2013

I think it must be similar to the thing we eat in Buenos Aires and
Montevideo, here it's called faina and it's eaten together with pizza. But
the original is from Genua and there is called farinata, I think  our faina
is a form of dialect.
In Nice, where it's eaten as traditional nicoise food, it's called socca.
And I ate it in Tanger in Marocco but I don't remember the name, it was
streetfood in Tanger.
It's done with chickpea flour, olive oil and salt and peppar, nothing more.
Really delicious.
Ana

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>wrote:

> I don't think fracta here is split (or fractured or anything similar).
> Arnauld de Villeneuve talks about a drink made with "ossa fracta" and I
> don't
> think split bones would have gone down very well.  Also the Dictionnaire
> Gaffiot says that fractus means "broken, reduced to pieces".  Plus a word
>  in
> Provencal (faufrach), meaning a soup made of powdered broad beans, turns
> out to be derived from "faba fracta", which is said to mean "broken broad
> beans".
> _
> http://books.google.com/books?id=kGhXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA218&dq=%22faba+fracta%22
>
> &hl=en&sa=X&ei=upgIUeflAY7vigKysoFQ&ved=0CGgQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=%22faba%20fr
> acta%22&f=false_
> (http://books.google.com/books?id=kGhXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA218&dq=
> "faba+fracta"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=upgIUeflAY7vigKysoFQ&ved=0CGgQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q
> ="faba%20fracta"&f=false)
>
> In  fairness, Dalby does translate the latter as "split beans", however.

> Thank you, Jim, for your insights. I'll continue making the chickpea flour
> variations, as well as try it with cooked, mashed chickpeas and egg.
>
> As for your capon question, might your breadcrumb recipe be a variation of
> gallettes to serve as a sidedish with a capon? People can then get the
> taste of the "noble" bird, from the fat...perhaps even an early form of
> "stuffing?" Because fried patties of savory spiced bread flavored with bird
> fat and bacon, I would be all over that (says the gal who digs into the
> leftover stuffing at Thanksgiving, you can keep your turkey, thank you very
> much).
>
> Adelisa

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci