[Sca-cooks] Neolithic strainer hints at origin of cheese

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 18 10:10:21 PST 2013

Yeah.  I heard this on NPR just after the paper was released in Nature.
What strikes me as interesting in the Futurity article is the claim that the
Neolithic farmers were lactose intolerant.  I did some quick checking and
the claim is based on statements by evolutionary geneticist, Mark Thomas.
Similar chemical analysis by Richard Evershed, one of the authors, suggests
that yogurt was being produced in southwest Libya at approximately the same
time.

Bear