[Sca-cooks] Tracing food consumption through istopic analysis of bones

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 25 17:36:36 PST 2013

The general adoption of the moldboard plow and the three field rotation
system improved the general food supply in the 8th and 9th Centuries.  This
generally led to an improvement in the quality of life which was slowly
eroded by a growing population.  Plague reduced the population and the
inheritance laws concentrated wealth across a broad spectrum of the
population.  Combined with an industrial revolution in wind and water
powered technologies, the effect was a higher standard of living for most
Europeans.  This standard of living lasted for roughly 300 years, when it
declined from a number of factors.

Ferdinand Braudel's 3 volume series on Civilization and Capitalism,
particularly the first volume, The Structures of Everyday Life, provides a
lot of information and references on general existence between the 15th and
the 18th Centuries.

Bear