[Sca-cooks] Question remove vs. course.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jan 2 21:58:15 PST 2013

You have encountered one of the standard SCA errors. "Remove" is a
post-period term for a subcourse--a dish in a course removed before the
rest of the course, or the dish that replaces it. Someone in the SCA at
some time in the past mistakenly thought it was a period term for
course, and since people in the SCA like to show off how knowledgeable
they are and are often not very careful about making sure that what they
know is true, the idea spread.

"Course" is indeed the period English term.

On 12/30/12 4:15 AM, otsisto wrote:
> Today a cook for an upcoming event said that the correct term was called
> remove not course, I said the term is course. I was then corrected by the
> rest at the meeting that what is served at feasts are removes and not
> courses. Memory fails me. I always thought it was course, is it remove?????
>
> De

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/