[Sca-cooks] Academic events in 2013?

Stephani Ross the.red.ross at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:46:45 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM,  Volker Bach wrote:

So I wanted to ask if anyone can think of any other culinary history themed
event that would be worth attending.

Have you ever heard of Dr. Alice Ross? She owns Hearth Studios in
Smithtown, NY where she teaches various historical cooking techniques as
described here http://www.aliceross.com/descriptions.html , such as hearth
cooking, dutch oven baking, butchering etc. Most of her classes deal with
early New World cooking, but she also teaches Ancient World foods as well
as Medieval-Renaissance Cookery. She used to have a list of classes she
taught yearly, but now it looks like she only teaches by appointment. I
have a feeling she is getting up in her years. I have always wanted to see
her studios and get some instruction on basic hearth cooking. Look at her
website and see if something would interest you. While it's not an SCA
symposium, I think there is a lot to learn from her. If she is getting
pretty old, it would be nice to have an (or some) SCAer(s) to pass on her
information to the rest of us.

YIS,
Æschwynne/Aislinn