[Sca-cooks] Spikenard

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Jan 14 14:08:51 PST 2013

Yeah, when I first started hunting for true spikenard, I found that almost all the suppliers were selling Aralia racemosa. It's a New World herb, and as you say, totally unrelated to Nardostachys. But true spikenard is readily available from herbal suppliers who specialize in Ayurvedic medicine.

In a previous message, you mentioned that a Pennsic merchant was selling valerian as spikenard. I'm pretty sure that the merchant from whom I bought my current stash was selling the real thing. As I stated previously, I've compared spikenard and valerian by smell, and while similar, they are distinct.

You mention the oil being available from Lhasa Karnak -- a few years ago (PW 38, I think), someone teaching a class on foods from al-Warraq stated that he had used the oil rather than the herb. He had a bunch of sample foods, and he identified the one (a sweet, if I recall correctly) that had the oil in it, with a warning that some considered it dangerous. Most folks in the class ignored the warning and tasted it anyway.

-- Galefridus