[Sca-cooks] Pelmeni

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 24 11:18:01 PST 2013

Try "pel'n'an'" (pel = ear   n'an=bread).  The Oxford Companion to Food
gives this as a Finnic form derived from the Persian that has been changed
by usage to pel'meni in the modern period.

Since they are a basic dumpling and we have recipes from neighboring
cultures within period, it is accepted by most food historians that pelmeni
are being produced "within period."  The big argument is whether they were
introduced from China by the invading Mongols or introduced from the Middle
East.

Bear