[Sca-cooks] Kissel

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 24 11:48:35 PST 2013

Remnants of grain is very helpful.  The thickener is obviously starch from
cereal.  The remnants are very likely the "middlings" from milling flour,
most probably wheat or spelt.  You might also want to look for archaic
definitions for the translation of "remnants."  It is possible that they are
actually referring to flour or even wheat starch.

The Primary Chronicle (or The Tale of Bygone Years) is actually early 12th
Century (about 1113) and covers Kievan history from about 850 to 1110.
Since there isn't (to my knowledge) an existing copy of the original you may
be looking at a modification from the 14th or 15th Century.

Bear