[Sca-cooks] Queens Tea

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 10:24:47 PST 2013

Tea shows up right on the boundary line.
According to OED-
the plant
[1598   W. Phillip tr. J. H. van Linschoten [Disc. Voy. E. & W. Indies  i. xxvi. 46/1]   The aforesaid warme water is made with the powder of a certaine hearbe called Chaa.]
the drink
[1601   R. Johnson tr. G. Botero [Travellers Breviat  (1603) 216]   Water mixt with a certaine precious powder which they [the Japanese] use, they account a daintie beverage: they call it Chia.

Tea as "A meal or social entertainment at which tea is served" is mid 18th century."
---
One could use repast as well as collation or banquet meaning either
A slight repast between meals. Sometimes called running banquet. (Often transf. and fig., as in prec. sense.) Obs.

1509   Bp. J. Fisher [Wks i. 294]   Eschewynge bankettes, rere~soupers, joncryes betwyxe meles.
1552   R. Huloet [Abcedarium Anglico Latinum] ,   Banquet before supper, Antecœnium.
1620   T. Venner [Via Recta v. 91]   At banquets betweene meales, when the stomache is empty.
or
Banquet as  "A course of sweetmeats, fruit, and wine, served either as a separate entertainment, or as a continuation of the principal meal, but in the latter case usually in a different room; a dessert. Obs. in gen. use; but cf. ‘cake and wine banquet’ in Scotland, ‘fruit banquet’ in northern counties."

1523   Ld. Berners tr. J. Froissart [Cronycles I. cccciii,]   He gaue dyners, suppers, and banketes to ladyes and damosels.
1584   T. Cogan [Haven of Health ccxii. 191]   Yea, and after Supper for feare least they be not full gorged, to haue a delicate banquet, with abundance of Wine.

Johnnae