[Sca-cooks] Salt corrosion of pots?

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Sat Jan 12 17:44:11 PST 2013

I have a couple of Pomaireware unglazed clay pots (http://pomaireware.com/clay-cookware/) that I use with some regularity. Most recently I used one to brine cure a few pounds of olives. Over the course of the cure (about 3 months), the brine solution soaked through the pot; in fact, the outside of the pot became encrusted with salt as the brine dried.

A couple of days ago, I transferred the olives to another container. As I was cleaning the pot, I noticed several places where the clay had corroded: it had become soft and crumbly. I didn't think that fired clay pots would be affected by salt in this way. I'm no ceramicist, but isn't fired clay just fused silica, which is extremely inert?

I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone else has had this experience.

-- Galefridus