[Sca-cooks] Spikenard

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 13:16:29 PST 2013

Well, i just gave a phone call to Lhasa Karnak, an herb and spice store in Berkeley, California, in business over 30 years. I asked what they have been selling as Spikenard herb. I recognized the voice, i was speaking to the owner. He told me they sell Auralia Racemosa, which is commonly known as American Spikenard.

This is not in the valerian family. But as i said, other herb vendors may sell something different...

He said that they do sell real Spikenard oil, from Nardostachys jatamansi. I said i'd hesitate to put that in food and he concurred.

Someone known as Urtatim