[Sca-cooks] Sundays in Lent

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Jul 17 03:08:45 PDT 2013

I just wanted to weigh in here (yes, I'm awake- have the obligatory
summer cold and I can't seem to breathe freely long enough to get
tosleep) about Sundays in Lent...

As I've noted several times over the past couple of years, Lent was not
a fixed thing- it varied a great deal, mostly depending on where you
were, when you were, who your local bishop was and how hard-assed he
was, if you were a cleric, etc etc etc. *In general* things progressed
from very strict to somewhat more lax, until late in the middle ages you
could basically buy your way out of a great deal of Lenten observances.

The degree of Sunday observance varied a great deal, it would appear.
Things were quite strict in the early church and early middle ages. Lent
might be much longer than the familiar 40 days, and the foodstuffs
allowed were very narrow, any day of the week. In fact, there were even
a 'dry fast', which had not only rather spartan food offerings, but also
was to include *no water*, and restriction on watery foods. (Appears to
have been a short-lived practice, thank God.) The general rule set in
the 5th c was basic- no meat, no eggs, no dairy. There is some
contention as to the nature of a relaxation of the rules for Sunday
(sometimes including Saturdays and Saints' days). The meals could be
fancier, more elaborate, and also with bigger portions. (Lenten portions
would put an anorexic to shame.) In the 14th and 15th centuries there
seems to have been eggs and dairy allowed on Sunday; meat is still iffy.
*However*, I've been studying the observances of Lent for several years
now, as some of you know, and I as of yet have not been able to find any
specific statutory relaxation or decretal/ordinance of the rules for
Sundays. Nothing. So I can't say for sure when- or indeed even *if* this
happened. This is the source of no small frustration, because as an 8th
c person, things are pretty strict.

During Lent I observe the full fast, though I allow myself three meals
on Sunday as opposed to the two that was common practice, and I keep to
it also on Saints' days. This is a royal pain in the neck, and a great
challenge. It is also an interesting experience in that I get a taste-
even just six weeks- of religious observance and life in my time period.
This last spring though I had to drop out two weeks early, as I was ill.
The infirm, very young, or very old were allowed exceptions, and I took
it. I might be a crazy medievalist, but I'm not stupid.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: