[Sca-cooks] Possibly interesting book

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jul 17 14:14:44 PDT 2013

I just received as a gift "The Flavour Thesaurus", by Niki Segnit,
Bloomsbury Press, 2010.

I've so far only glanced inside.  It identifies about 16 flavour groups,
and then comments on pairings of foods from these flavour groups, and
adds various suggestions along with many literary or film or other
cultural references.

At random:

 From the "Brine & Salt" section:

Anchovy & Potato

The text is a couple of hundred words, with an embedded recipe which I
summarize as:  Onions and Swedish anchovies, potato 'matchsticks',
cream, bread crumbs, and butter.  Bake.

Anyone else seen this book, and have comments?

Thorvald