[Sca-cooks] How to get a kid

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Mon Jul 22 11:49:37 PDT 2013

Let's see who's still online to field this one . . .

I've got a feast this September (here in central PA), and it's to be a
Henry V feast, and that means it ought to include a kid, because kid
was in when Henry V was king.

So I've inquired at a friendly neighborhood goat-meat farm, and
they've got kids to spare, but by the time of the feast they'll be up
to 40 lb. and more, yielding umpteen pounds lean edible portion. Now
this would be a good size if the feast were mostly kid, but there are
various other things planned (venison, poultry, perhaps suckling pig,
and of course potages, leches, and bakemetes with flesh in), and we're
unlikely to seat more than about sixty at the feast.

The question is: should I consider getting the kid sometime earlier?
Might it be practical to have the kid frozen, or perhaps hung for half
a month? I don't know whether kid is a suitable meat for long
dry-aging, though I understand that some of its ruminant relatives are
just right for it. And for all I know hanging might just break our
budget.

Or maybe I should just order half a kid. Or shop around for someone
whose kids start later or don't grow as fast as Boers. So, any ideas?

Is it true that half a kid is better than none?

--
Henry/Alex