[Sca-cooks] Sundays in Lent

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jul 28 09:15:39 PDT 2013

Ah! I was fooled by the careful balance of doctrine and research in the
text itself, but also by the Church-related headlines now to be found on the
main page.

It remains true that the text itself appears to be written  with careful
attention to the Church's dogma and includes Ecclesiastical  approbation for
each article. Still, to the degree that any dogma has changed  since 1913,
Catholics probably want to look further for the current position.  (And in
fact the editors appear to have sometimes added links to help with  that.)

I have to say as a thoroughly secular person, I find it impressive.  The
writers have to deal with some issues - like "Defender of the Faith"
Charlemagne's ruttings - which could not have been comfortable for the devout  while
adhering closely to the Church's positions. For a work constrained by
dogma, it is remarkably accurate and a richly useful research tool.

It's interesting that Appleton - a rather important publishing company in
itself - was apparently originally formed to create the Encyclopedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia

Apparently the more authoritative - and more wide-ranging - reference work
is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Catholic_Encyclopedia

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in  France
http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html

In a message  dated 7/28/2013 8:55:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, joh