[Sca-cooks] Medieval steaks

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jul 28 08:59:27 PDT 2013

Thanks, Johnnae. These are among the "late" recipes I was referring to. I
believe they're also in the Florilegium.

It's interesting that Taillevent mainly refers to (and then rarely)
"slices" (lesches) of meat. My impression is that the whole idea of slicing meat
before cooking it and then paying more careful attention to just HOW one
sliced  it grew up during this time. Given that Roman butchery could be pretty
sophisticated (and included removing meat from the bone before selling it),
it's  not impossible that something of the kind existed back then, but if
so it does  not seem to have made it into Pseudo-Apicius or other accounts.

My impression overall is that, until the late medieval period, people
thought in terms of joints and other bone-related cuts. If so, the idea of
cutting and classifying the different parts of one solid mass of meat would
represent a distinct advance at that point.

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in France
_http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html

In a message dated 7/28/2013 8:34:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,