[Sca-cooks] amchur and ajwain

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 15:57:18 PDT 2013

> We're cleaning out our spices and came across two Indian spices - Amchoor
> and Ajwain.

This is the first I've heard these spices talked about here. Thank you, Ranvaig, for such a good explanation and your comments on it's aging. I've saved it for the Florilegium. :-)

Were these spices used in period? Just in India? Or did they make it to Europe? My assumption for the latter, particularly on the amchur is most likely not. I'm not sure that dried mango, as a souring agent, would be worth transporting as far as Europe, not when other things like pepper and other spices would seem to be more lucrative.

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com