[Sca-cooks] Fat tuesday food question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 15 21:36:27 PDT 2013

Cailte replied to Mirianna Wrenne with:
<<< Some monastic records list what was eaten on high days and holy days, as opposed to fast days.  It won't give you recipes, but it is a start (esp. with early Irish). >>>

But Mirianna didn't say she wanted info on how Fat Tuesday was celebrated in a monastic community. While one point of reference, how close would it be to the general nobles culture we seem to portray?

I would expect the monastics to be stricter in their fasting, but does this cover over to the feasts? I could see where they might be more exuberant, but don't know.

Surprisingly, I remember us discussing period fasts, including Lent, before, but don't remember taking about Fat Tuesday. Is Fat Tuesday different from Mardi Gras? We have discussed the latter some.

This makes me wonder, is a feast during a fast time different from a feast during a non-feast time?

I'm interested in seeing what is turned over here about Fat Tuesday feasts.

A few Florilegium files which might be somewhat related:
fasts-msg (64K) 1/ 7/09 Fasts and fastdays. Food restrictions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fasts-msg.html

Carnival-Fst-art (25K) 3/19/99 An Italian Carnival Feast in Delftwood.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEAST-REVIEWS/Carnival-Fst-art.html

Lenten-Fst-mnu-art (9K) 4/ 4/04 The menu for a small feast in Lent by Brekke Franksdottir.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEAST-REVIEWS/Lenten-Fst-mnu-art.html

Mid-Lent-Dnnr-art (7K) 4/27/01 A Mid-Lenten dinner by Rudd Rayfield.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEAST-REVIEWS/Mid-Lent-Dnnr-art.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com