[Sca-cooks] Fat tuesday food question

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 23:10:40 PDT 2013

It's a direct translation.

Other terms:  Camicapium, Quaresme-prenant.

But I see no evidence that special meals  were associated it with it as far
back as our era.

This may be as  complete a history of the day as one can find for  England:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tZw9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA43&dq=%22Shrove+tuesday%2
2&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tVS9Uc22JKGSyQGp-oGgDg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've  seen condemnations of similar activities early on in France because
they were so  close to the pagan rites which no doubt inspired them; the
Church seems to have  gotten more tolerant over time, but possibly after our
period.

Jim  Chevallier
North Hollywood, CA
www.chezjim.com

How to Cook an Early  French Peacock:
Anthimus' De Observatione Ciborum -
Roman Food for a  Frankish King
Bilingual Second Edition

In a message dated 6/15/2013  9:36:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,