[Sca-cooks] Pantry raid...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 6 14:51:50 PST 2013

>I would think some kind of smallish bread roll, rather than a loaf, if
>leavened breads were kept around at all? (rather than being fresh-baked
>within a day or two??)

A wheat loaf with a relatively thick crust will last roughly four days
uncut.  A larger loaf holds moisture better.  Availability of bread depended
largely on whether or not an oven was available.  And I will point out that
the question was about a Medieval pantry, the primary purpose of which is to
store the bread.

> unflavored stuffing croutons -- I was under the impression that at some
> point, dried bread crumbs were used for thickening, flour-roux thickening
> came "later"?

A stale roll (like the three I have in a bag on the counter) works fine as
well.  You will find a recipe or two that starts with what appears to be
roux in Sabina Welserin.

> barley flour, oat flour, rye flour - lower class but possibly more common
> than whole wheat
>

> this is fun, 8-)
> chimene & gerek

Available flours are generally dependent upon region and the trade routes,
but for the European nobility, fine wheat flour was the preference.

Bear