[Sca-cooks] Cucumbers, was: Ethnic market epiphanies

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 8 09:53:20 PST 2013

Also see
"The Cucurbitaceae and Solanaceae illustrated in medieval manuscripts known as the Tacuinum Sanitatis" by Paris, Daunay, and Janick.
http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/103/8/1187.full?sid=53240e2d-01d2-4131-b06c-b71a2da79f6d

"Background and Aims Beginning in the last two decades of the 14th century, richly illuminated versions of the Tacuinum Sanitatis, the Latin translation of an 11th-century Arabic manuscript known as Taqwim al-Sihha bi al-Ashab al-Sitta, were produced in northern Italy. These illustrated manuscripts provide a window on late medieval life in that region by containing some 200 full-page illustrations, many of which vividly depict the harvest of vegetables, fruits, flowers, grains, aromatics and medicinal plants. Our objective was to search for and identify the images of taxa of Cucurbitaceae and Solanaceae."

Johnnae