[Sca-cooks] Ethnic market epiphanies

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 23:03:12 PST 2013

And good thing too. This was after all a product that was used much in the
same way as vinegar.

I bought some "verjuice" at a farmer's market and  was dismayed to find it
was essentially sweet grape juice. While there is some  evidence of medieval
people drinking it, Roman soldiers drank something very  like vinegar too.
It's very name - "green juice" - emphasizes how tart it should  be.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 3/8/2013 2:13:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,