[Sca-cooks] Ethnic market epiphanies

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Mar 9 07:30:43 PST 2013

On 3/8/2013 11:03 PM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> And good thing too. This was after all a product that was used much in the
> same way as vinegar.
>
> I bought some "verjuice" at a farmer's market and  was dismayed to find it
> was essentially sweet grape juice. While there is some  evidence of medieval
> people drinking it, Roman soldiers drank something very  like vinegar too.
> It's very name - "green juice" - emphasizes how tart it should  be.

I think you can find discussions on verjuice in our archives, and in
Stefan's 'Florilegium'. It is indeed quite tart- you farmer either
mislabeled it, or they don't know what they're doing..

I have found it commercially a couple of times (that reminds me- I'm
out), and while you can substitute diluted vinegar in a pinch, there's
nothing quite like the real stuff. Just a little can really wake up a dish.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: