[Sca-cooks] Great Knife Score?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 09:26:44 PDT 2013

Personally, if I owned anything quite that effective, I would have images
of my wrists wondering where my hands went.

This said, I do own a full  set of knives (rather amusingly, since years as
an impoverished musician have  left me using a steak knife for a host of
unintended purposes, even though I  have the exact implement for each purpose
hanging above my counter). I do use a  (no doubt much duller) cleaver for
chopping vegetables sometimes.

The  advantage, if you've ever seen a really efficient chef use one, is the
weight of  the blade, which allows you to build up a sequential rhythm so
that you can  simply feed the food in question under the cleaver and almost
industrially  produce a series of slices. Be sure you have a steady surface
for this and be  aware that if clumsily done (my default method) it can lead
to bits of food  flying around. But yes it does speed up things like
chopping carrots,  considerably.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 3/17/2013 9:12:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,