[Sca-cooks] Cheese making

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 22:59:51 PDT 2013

<<< With all the talk of pig cheese, I decided to try my hand at cheesemaking.
The first go round of some basic Neufchatel is sitting on the stove in a
covered stainless steel pot. Any horror stories to share or words of wisdom
to impart? >>>

For a lot of the discussion that we've had over the years on cheese, see the FOOD-DAIRY section of the Florilegium. Here are a few examples:
cheese-msg (205K) 5/17/10 Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheese-msg.html

cheesemaking-msg (208K) 12/15/11 Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheesemaking-msg.html

whey-cheeses-msg (32K) 6/ 1/06 Cheeses such as ricotta made from the liquid
left after making other cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/whey-cheeses-msg.html

Aged-Cheese-art (25K) 8/31/10 "Aged Cheese" as taught by Hildegard filia
Vulframn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/Aged-Cheese-art.html

bag-cheeses-art (18K) 9/ 5/05 "Making Simple Bag Cheeses / Cheese in
Period" by Lord Jakys the Chesemonger.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/bag-cheeses-art.html

fresh-cheeses-msg (70K) 1/ 1/11 Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and
cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/fresh-cheeses-msg.html

Almost always made with store-bought cheese, but an SCA favorite:
cheese-goo-msg (44K) 10/31/06 Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheese-goo-msg.html

I hope this gives you some useful info to work with.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris