[Sca-cooks] poudre fort

Stephanie Ross the.red.ross at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:25:21 PDT 2013

Stefan wrote:

 <<So, what did you find in your search of poudre fort recipes?

I think everything I have on them is in this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section of the Florilegium, but of course additional info is always
useful.
spice-mixes-msg (104K) 3/ 1/09 Period spice mixtures. Poudre Forte, Douce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-mixes-msg.html>>

<<< It's
a SCAdian Medieval Cuisine site on Google Plus that includes class
handouts. If it's been mentioned here before I apologize for being
redundant. >>>

<<Don't worry about being redundant. We have people join and leave the list
all the time, and those new folks might not have seen it previously.>>

I did think of you for that link Stefan, actually. I figured you'd scarf
the class handouts if they aren't already in the Florilegium. BTW. googling
"poudre fort" brings up the Florilegium at 7th in the rankings :)

In the comments section of this page
http://www.theoldfoodie.com/2006/10/chaucers-cook.html there is a recipe
for a poudre fort that the lady cooks with mundanely, and it looked good.
Don't care a whole lot for this site though. The Old Foodie is rather
ignorant about medieval stuff, although she tries. I did enjoy some of her
posts regarding recent history, like what they ate in the Kennedy White
House.  I haven't made this version of poudre fort yet, although I do have
everything to make it. I might turn it into a season salt to use at feast.

CelticHearthCook said...

I cook with my Powder Forte.

My personal redaction is more peppery than most:
4 parts tellicherry black pepper
2 part grains of paradise
2 part long pepper
1/3 part each galangal, clove and mace
optional: 1 part cubebs

The soft backround of the sweeter aromatic spices make this blend
table-shaker worthy.

I use this blend in pates replacing Quatre' Espice. It's absolutley
delicious spinkled over any meat before (and after) roasting. Adds an
exotic touch to salads. I use it in place of regular pepper in many pickles
and sauces such as BBQ, sweet chili salsas and warm fruit sauces. It is
particularly good with fruits.

--
Et si omnes ego non.