[Sca-cooks] Scrambled eggs

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Mar 30 13:54:04 PDT 2013

There seem to have been a wealth of methods unknown to us today:

"Without even mentioning other dishes, can one say in how many ways eggs
are transformed and tormented; what passion is put into turning them over,
denaturing them, liquefying them, hardening them and reducing them? They are
served fried, roasted, stuffed, scrambled; care is taken to give food an
agreeable appearance, in order to please the view as much as taste; and
curiosity is not yet satisfied when the stomach vigorously signals that it is
full."
St. Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153)

If you take the meat out of the Enseignemenz' recipe for Faux Grenon ("Fake
 Mustache"), you have something very scrambled-eggish:

"Fake grenon
If  you want to make fake grenon, take the liver and the gizzards, slice
them up  fine; crush up bread and mix it with bouillon and set it to boil; and
after put  in beaten egg yolks, and saffron mixed with wine, and then
simmer and add milk,  and chop the meat up in fat; and boil it, stirring
constantly, and then put in  the eggs and the saffron. And set out in bowls, and put
powdered cinnamon,  ginger, and clove on it."

Taillevent's mustard soup recipe could be adapted as well:

"To Make Mustard Soup

For a fish day, fry eggs in oil or butter, and then use pure mustard,
cinnamon, ginger, assorted spices such as cloves and seed, and sweeten
moderately. Strain it all together and boil in a pot, and infuse it with  verjuice.
Salt to taste, and put the broth apart."

Or instead of spitting these eggs, you could scramble them with the same
flavorings:

"Eggs Roasted On The Spit

To roast stuffed eggs on the spit, make a small hole in the end of each
egg, and take out what is inside. Then take sage, marjoram, pennyroyal, mint
and  all other good herbs, and chop them up finely. Fry in butter, and the
eggs, and  put on a plank and chop them up finely. Add in ginger, saffron and
sugar. Then  put the stuffing in the egg shells. Take small, very fine
skewers. Put a dozen  eggs on each skewer, and set on the grill over a low fire."

This sauce is said to be good on fried eggs; it would probably work with
scrambled as well:

"Sauce With Must

To make sauce with must, remove grapes from the bunch and crush up in a
frying pan, and boil on the fire seven or eight minutes. Put in a very little
red Burgundy wine, with enough grapes, and strain it all through cloth. For
four  servings, take two ounces of true cinnamon, two ounces of sugar, a
half ounce of  ginger, and strain it all through the cloth, except the  sugar."

Personally, I'd still go for pepper and cumin. With, maybe, a  little Asian
fish sauce, since the Franks still used garum.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

A History of Coffee and  Other Refreshments in Early Modern France
by Pierre Le Grand d'Aussy

In a message dated 3/30/2013 1:12:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
johnnae at mac.com writes:
You might consider a mix of different grinds of black  and white pepper and
a couple of salts.

Johnnae

> Stefan  wrote:
>
>> I like these ideas of adding a medieval  spice  mix to even modern food
>> items. I'll have to consider it. What   medieval spice mix would folks
>> recommend for scrambled eggs?

Sca-cooks mailing  list
Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org