[Sca-cooks] Grenade syrup or molasses

Leah Adams jinxleah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 21:18:44 PDT 2013

I have two incredibly easy pomegranate (simple) syrups (or grenadines)
that I make, one cooked & one not cooked. They both use only two
ingredients. Pomegranate (or grenade, whichever term you are more at
ease with.) and water.

Cooked pomegranate syrup
(Also known as grenadine or pomegranate simple syrup.)
Bring one part pomegranate juice to a simmer.
Add one part sugar.
Cook until sugar has fully dissolved.
You can of course cook it down until it is more like a thick molasses
type concoction. But be careful with it. I've found that pomegranate
juice can burn pretty easily. This syrup will have a more complex
taste to it than the next recipe.

Uncooked pomegranate syrup
Put one part pomegranate juice into a bottle or jar.
Add one part plus a little extra of sugar into the bottle or jar.
Shake until thoroughly combined. (This is a good one for when you just
have to catch up on that favorite show!)

I usually make about four cups of syrup whenever I make it.

Both of these are easily adaptable. You can add more or less sugar
according to your tastes. I tend to put a shot of vodka in mine just
to preserve it. Then use it up in my sodas in about a week, meaning I
had no need for the vodka. I mix about 2 ounces syrup with tonic water
for my soda, then add ice. The tonic water adds a lovely bite to the
soda. It's also great in plain water.